History of the School

Strong Tradition and Commitment

Since 1952 Collie Senior High School has delivered academic, university and vocational pathways for the children of the Collie community. We still have high expectations for our students because successful students equal a successful community.

In 1899, the first school in Collie was opened in a rented building by Mr J.T. Blaire with an enrollment of 55. The name of the town was then Coalville and the school was named Coalville School. In 1900, a new, two-roomed school was erected, the enrollment being 110. In 1903 the name of the school was changed to Collie.

For many years from 1924, the original school with its subsequent buildings, catered for both primary and post-primary children and was known as Collie District High School. In 1948, Collie reached the status of a three year High School with an enrolment of 200 post-primary students.

In 1951, the first class of fourth year students was established and in the following year nine students sat for the Leaving Examination (32 students sat for the Junior Examination in 1952).

In 1958 an overall plan was prepared for all buildings on the original site to be converted to High School purposes. These necessitated additional classrooms being erected at Wilson Park and the establishment of a new school at North Collie which was named Fairview.

In 1959, the first stage of conversion and modernisation of the School commenced with the first additions being officially opened on December 1, 1960. Further additions have been made over the years, the most recent of which was the construction of a new Administration block and Staff Room with the upgrade of a number of practical areas and the extension of the library in 2004.

Last modified on Thursday, 12 December 2013 15:18
More in this category: « Leadership and Executive Team

Collie Senior High School

Absentees